Since 2012 GLOBAL IDEAS started implementation of Leonardo da Vinci Transfer of Innovation project “MentorT: Mentor training for learning support assistants and apprentices” (No. 2012-1-TR1-LEO05-35164).
The purpose of the project is to develop the skills of apprentices, LSAs (Learning Support Assistants) or equivalent, in organisations who are trainers or are employed to offer support to young people who experience difficulties and who aspire to access vocational training and experience.
For this group, there is no established training route, which is consistent across regions and contexts or which focuses on developing skills in mentoring.
Even where recognised courses exist, their design is for a conventional classroom and not a vocational setting, or with people who experience difficulties.
The aim of this project is to develop and pilot an accredited training programme for apprentice mentors or LSAs or equivalent, which is specific to this context, common across the partners, and which includes mentoring skills as a core unit.
The concrete objectives of this project:
- Research the role of apprentices, mentors and LSAs in different partner countries, and compare and ‘match’ the training provision available to them;
- Develop a work-based training route focussing on the skills needed to support young people into employment / vocational training;
- Develop a mentoring training module, based on the current understanding peer mentoring and introduction to peer mentoring courses developed through the peer mentor support programme, to add value to existing provision;
- Exchange existing training materials to create a bank of training materials on which all partners can draw, thereby filling gaps in provision;
- Identify a pilot group to trial the mentoring module and collective training materials;
- Organise a pilot course for selected participants.
The following organizations are project partners:
- Yenişehir Halk Eğitim Merkezi (Turkey);
- Valoria – SOcrA vzw (Belgium);
- Academia Istropolitana Nova (Slovakia);
- Lopez de Santıago Consultores S.L. (Spain);
- Grupul Şcolar de Prelucrarea Lemnului ,,Constantin Brâncuşi”
- UAB “Globalios idejos” (Lithuania);
- Asociatia Oamenilor de Afaceri Arges (Romania);
- WOMEUROPA (France).
It is made up of private, voluntary and public sector organisations, who are experienced in developing innovative training solutions and in working with the target groups.
All project partners chose different target groups like people with disabilities, unemployed and etc.
The company of Lithuania UAB “Globalios idėjos” has chosen rural area population that has limited access to lifelong learning.
The outcomes of this project:
- a report on the variations in role of apprentices, mentors and LSAs in different partner countries, and the training provision available to them;
- a bank of training materials;
- a mentoring module with associated guidance on use, assessment criteria and moderation protocol;
- a framework for developing generic support and mentoring skills within apprentice and LSA training, which is transferable across different countries and cultures.
For more information visit project website: www.mentort.org.